What will we be covering?
The over-arching aims are to:
- get everyone playing together (guitar and bass)
- learn a few tunes to take away and finesse
- have some fun!
We’ll literally start at the beginning with the basics:
- getting a good set-up
- cementing core techniques for RH and LH for all players
- reading chord boxes, TAB, song sheets and basic rhythm
- forming essential open chords (and a few other cool ones!)
- creating a solid strumming groove
- reviewing arpeggios and basic scales used in bass lines
- building and playing cool bass lines to accompany the guitars
- learning how to change between the chords accurately and cleanly
- maybe touching on some very useful and practical theory aspects to help put things into context
- looking at how to practise
- arming you with a wad of great songs to work on
And if we get time:
- looking at options for playing barre chords but without the barre
- more advanced bass lines e.g. walking from one chord to the next
- introducing you to fingerstyle and trying some fingerpicking patterns over familiar chords with rhythms you’ve already looked at
- delving into the Blues: chords, shuffle, 12 bar form, basic intro/turnaround, etc.
The course generally has a smaller class size compared to our others in order to allow more one-on-one time and we take things at whatever pace suits the group.
The course will set you off on the right path but the main work is done at home. We provide a comprehensive set of lesson materials to help this process. Beginners gets you ready for Strugglers which is our entry-level course for players who have a few years under their musical belt.
Who’s this course suitable for?
It’s suitable for all beginner levels of acoustic, electric guitar (and bass players) e.g.
- just starting on the journey
- been playing for a year or so but hitting major road blocks
But also for people who have played for years but don’t really feel that you’ve got a map or your engine is stuttering or you’re just stuck in a musical rut – you need an MOT or bump start. You might be at the low intermediate level (this is where our Strugglers course comes into its own — check it out)
What’s included in the price?
Our price for players is all-inclusive:
- tuition and materials
- lunch and morning/afternoon refreshments
- Course sheets will be handed out on the day.
- Some prep sheets might be sent out ahead of the course.
- Revision and practice materials will be made available to you after the course e.g. audio/video recordings, any supplementary PDFs and photos of flip charts.
This Day-Only course is a teaching/playing guitar-fest but it will be paced to suit the group so that it’s as much about having fun and enjoying a sociable time with fellow hobby players.
Playing together as a group is the best, and most enjoyable, way of learning and experiencing music.
The course has limited numbers to ensure the correct tutor-to-group ratio – book early to avoid disappointment.